Fixing Cross-Linked Records
Tip version: 47.2
Modified date: 14 May 2001
Software version: v5.2 and above
A "cross-linked" record is one where clicking on a given
individual leads you to someplace other than what you expected. Cross-linking
may have several causes.
- Make duplicate entries for the individuals in question (both if a
couple). Make sure you copy all data for all fields, as the original individual
will be deleted.
- For convenience in the process, add an identifier such as DUPLICATE
or EDIT to their names.
- Note the links to the children which will have to be re-established
- Delete the marriage by dragging the marriage bar to the trash.
- Delete the individuals by dragging them to the trash. If they had
parents in the family file, dragging the marriage bar to the trash will still
leave them attached to their parents' families. If there were no parents
listed, dragging the marriage bar to the trash will delete the individuals.
- Empty the trash. Important!
- Go to the DUPLICATE individuals and enter the marriage data.
- Re-link any children as noted above.
- Adjust the names if you added an identifier earlier in the process.
Repeat as needed. This should have things back in working order.
Regards, Mike Hobart
Copyright © 1999-2001 Michael A. Hobart, commercial reuse