NameWilliam Ives
Birth1607, England789
Residence1635, St. Stephen parish, London, England791 Age: 28
Immigration1635, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts792 Age: 28
Immi MemoShip "Truelove"
Death1648, New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut789 Age: 41
Burial1648, First Church of Christ, New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut791
Marriageabt 1639
 John (-~1681)
 Joseph (~1647-1694)
Notes for William Ives
He arrived at Boston on the Ship "Truelove," age 28, listed as "Wm Joes." Others on the ship included Willam and George Barstow ("Beersto"). Not much is known of his early years in the Boston area, but he eventually associated with the Davenport Company which left Boston harbor on 30 March 1638 and eventually settled along the Quinnipiac river and founded the Quinnipiac colony, later called "New Haven."

He is listed on the New Haven church roll in 1641 as member 69.

There is a good summary of information on him on Genforum. I am quoting it below:

"While it is probable that several persons by the name of IVES emigrated to colonial North America, our lineage in this country begins with William Ives (sometimes spelled Wm. Joes or Will Eues), who arrived in Boston harbor aboard the ship Truelove in late 1635. This was only 15 years after the Pilgrims had landed at Plymouth Rock. According to the passenger list, described as "Persons of Quality", he was 28 years old. It is believed that he was born in Northhamptonshire, England in 1607. He was an "inhabitant" of the parish of St. Stephen, Coleman St., London. In the seventeenth century Coleman Street was "a faire and large street, on both sides builded with diuerse faire houses". The church was destroyed in the Great London Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt. The new church was destroyed in World War II and was not rebuilt.

The following is derived from "The New Haven Colony" by Isabell MacBeath Calder, published by Yale Univ. Press in 1934:
John Davenport had been elected Vicar of St. Stephens but before he could begin his duties, he was charged with Puritanism by King James I, which he denied. In November of 1633, Davenport fled to Amsterdam to escape increasing disapproval of the Crown and this is where his group organized their move to the New World. The group included John and Elizabeth Davenport (left their infant son in the care of a noble lady); Theophilus Eaton, Anne Eaton, dau. of George Lloyd, Bishop of Chester, and widow of Thomas Yale, the second wife of Theophilus Eaton; old Mrs. Eaton, his mother; Samuel and Nathaniel Eaton, his brothers; Mary Eaton, the dau. of his first wife; Samuel, Theophilus and Hannah, the children of his second wife; Anne, David, and Thomas Yale, the children of Anne Eaton by her former marriage; Edward Hopkins, who on Sept 5, 1631 had married Anne Yale at St. Antholin's in London; and Richard Malbon, a kinsman of Theophilus Eaton. Also many inhabitants of the parish of St. Stephen: Nathaniel Rowe (son of Own Rowe who intended to follow); William Andrews, Henry Browning, James Clark, Jasper Crane, Jeremy Dixon, Nicholas Elsey, Francis Hall, Robert Hill, WILLIAM IVES, Geo. Smith, George Ward, and Lawrence Ward.

Evidence exists that William stayed with a Miles Ives when he reached the New World until he could join the Davenport Colony.

In March, 1637, he joined a party of Puritans led by the Reverend John Davenport who set out by water to find a suitable location for a new colony. They landed near the mouth of the Quinnipiac River on the north bank of what is now known as Long Island Sound, April 15, 1638. Here they established the plantation which was known as the Quinnipiac "New Haven" Colony.

ACI Book, Pg 15: William is referred to as "Captain". This probably was his rank during his militia service in New Haven Colony during "the Indian Alarms" of 1642 and 1646.

"Will Eues" was among the 63 signers of the covenant setting forth the rules of conduct for the new settlement, which was laid out in the form of a square one-half mile each way. In the center of the plot was a market place, now the New Haven Green, around which were "house lotts" and farm land for each "free planter". A map dated 1641 shows that William Ives was allotted 6 1/4 acres in the first division, 1 1/4 acres in the Neck, 2 1/4 acres of meadow, and 9 acres in the second division. His residence is believed to have been at "72-160Congress Street and corner of Hill St.," which would be only two blocks north of the Hill and Silver street address where Warren Ives lived 200 years later. The location is still called "Ives Corner" as of 1995. Incidentally, both addresses are now obscured by subsequent building and rerouting of streets. One source described the property as "His house & lott lying betwixt the house of George Smith and the highway...and two acrs of meddow...on this side of the river, ...the other end against the West river..., all of which did belong to the eldest son (John) of William Iues."

William was a "freeman of the Courte of New Haven" and is on the rolls of the church 1641 to 1647.

William's name and various information about him and his family appear in the records of his church - "Historical Catalog of the Members of the First Church of Christ (Center Church) in New Haven, CT, A.D. 1639-1914", compiled by Franklin Bowditch Dexter, New Haven, 1914 (@ New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven CT.) William was buried in the churchyard. The present building was erected in 1813 on the site of the old burial ground. The tombstones of the graves covered by the new building are still preserved in the crypt of the present church, the rest, removed in 1821, are arranged alphabetically along the wall of the North haven cemetery. Positive identification of William's stone has never been made.

As indicated by the frequency with which his name appears in the early records, William apparently was quite active in the church and civil affairs of the New Haven Colony during the 10 years he lived after its founding. From these records it appears that he married Hannah Dickerman in 1639. She remarried, to Dr. William Bassett, on November 7, 1648."793, 794, 791
Notes for Hannah (Spouse 1)
The 1639 census of Quinnipiac shows two members in the family of William Ives, so he must have married about then. She is named in the New Haven church roll in 1646 as member 149.
Last Modified 31 Jul 2011Created 4 Jul 2012 using Reunion for Macintosh