NameHannah Eastman199
Birth9 Nov 1679, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts200
Death15 Jul 1752, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts201 Age: 72
BurialOld Cemetery, Dudley, Worcester, Massachusetts202
FatherPhilip Eastman (1644-1714)
MotherMary Margaret Barnard (1645-1724)
Birth31 Mar 1665, Muddy River (Brookline), Suffolk, Massachusetts203
Death11 Aug 1736, Dudley, Worcester, Massachusetts204 Age: 71
BurialOld Cemetery, Dudley, Worcester, Massachusetts202
FatherClement Corbin (1626-1696)
MotherDorcas Buckminster (~1634-1722)
Marriage7 Apr 1697, Ashford, Windham, Connecticut
ChildrenClement (1698->1746)
 Mary (1700-)
 James Jr. (1702-1758)
 Dorcas (1704-1793)
 Hannah (Died as Child) (1706-)
 Philip (1708-1774)
 Stephen (1710-)
 Elisha (1713-1797)
 Samuel (1715-1782)
 Hannah (1717-1718)
 Hannah (1721-~1769)
Notes for Hannah Eastman
She died at the house of her son Samuel, and he was appointed the administrator of her estate. The inventory of her "household effects and cloathing" amounted to £5 11s. 11d.205
Notes for James (Spouse 1)
Lawson206 is the source of most of what follows.
James was one of the original settlers of "New Roxbury" or Woodstock, Connecticut. He drew Lot No. 2, on the west side of "Plaine Hill," later called Woodstock Hill, amounting to 20 acres. James settled there in 1686 and it seems likely that his father and the remainder of the famly followed him in 1687.
James drew the additional land of lot No. 32 in 1690. His brother Jabez received an adjacent lot and another lot was granted to their father Clement. Clement is called "brick layer" in these records. Note that he was styled "mason" in the somewhat later deed related to the property of his father's late cousin Robert Corbin, of Casco, Maine.
See the notes of his brother for details about the land for their shop. The shop at "Plaine Hill," the first at the town, quickly became a focus for the local activity. The shop traded in furs, collected turpentine from the forests, and dealt with any excess farm production, trading it in Boston. The return goods consisted of "liquor, ammunition, and other necessities."
He was the owner of the famous "cart" used to transport goods to and from the town. Indian troubles in 1700 when the cart was in transit from Boston caused considerable alarm and a group of sixty armed men rode out to meet in and accompany it into town as it approached Woodstock.
The town asked him in that year not to provide any ammunition to an Indian unless it had been approved by Capt. Sabin or Rev. Dwight.
James bought much of the land in the township of Ashford in 1705 and he provided much of the supplies needed by the people settling there. The yield of furs in return for such supplies was so large that he had great difficulty in transporting them to Boston. There were four oxen and four horses drawing the cart, but it often broke down on the rough road between Woodstock and Mendon.
He contributed the square of land, some 4-5 acres, in front of his property to serve as a training place and as burial ground, and this remains as part of the Woodstock Common.
Land lying between that of Jabez Corbin and the road was the site of the first school.
James and Jabez were two of the sixteen people allowed to build pews in the new town church constructed in 1721.
He moved about seven miles away in 1724 to Kekamoochaug, later renamed as Dudley. The town was incorporated on 1 January 1732 and James was one of the first group of selectmen. He moderated the town meettings in 1732-1735. Appointed with son Clement to lay out highways in 1732 and to survey the town boundary in 1733.
Appointed to the committee to secure the first minister for Dudley in 1732. Also appointed in 1734 to the committee to locate a minister for a year and to provide housing for him. He was also asked to see about "some land we hope to obtain of the indians for our meeting-house and burying place and training-field and also fifty acres adjoining for a pasnaig" [parsonage].
James provided the land for the Dudley burying-ground.

There is a deed in form similar to that of the one to Jabez Corbin [see his notes] between Clement and Dorcas and James. It was dated 21 December 1691 and was acknowleged on 22 June 1696.

His sons Clement and James Jr. sold land at Kakamowachaug [Dudley] to John Chandler of Woodstock on 22 November 1729, along with a home lot granted "to their honored father, James Corbin, situated in Woodstocck near the meeting-house, containing by estimation 20 acres, also a mansion house, barn and mantthouse."

A controversy arose after his death regarding the land which he owned in Ashford township. This persisted for many years. A petition was presented to the Connecticut Legislature in May 1774, by "Benjamin Marcy, Asahel Marcy, and Mary Marcy, widow, all of Woodstock in Windham County, and Dorcas Barnes of Plymouth, Mass., as they are the only desccenadants from the legal representatives of James Corbin, late of Dudley." This petition sttated that in June 1708, James Corbin, then of Woodstock, purchased some 21,400 acres of land in Ashford from Major James Fitch. He made many sales from this land but many people encroached upon it. The Connecticut General Assembly in 1719 had confirmed the title of the land in James Corbin but the encroachments by others in Ashford continued. The petition asked for liberty to take up 910 acres of the then undivided land and to hold some 1375 more acres of the land from the patent granted to James Corbin. (Lawson cites the Colonial Records of Connecticut, v. XIV, p. 282, and further cites the Records for 1717-17255, containing a 2176 acre patent to James Corbin.)

His gravestone has his birthdate as 31 March 1662 and the following beyond the basic statistics: "At Muddy River, now Brookline, Son of the emigrant," and also "The first selectman and donor of this land for a cemetery."202
Notes for James & Hannah (Family)
The marriage was performed by Rev. Josiah Dwight.
Last Modified 26 Sep 2009Created 4 Jul 2012 using Reunion for Macintosh